Deepak Shukla’s Notes On How to Start, Run, & Grow a Successful Restaurant Business: A Lean Startup Guide by Tim Hoffman :
I finished reading this book on the 10th of January 2021.
Here’s a synopsis of the book I grabbed from Amazon:
“In this book, you will realize why your concept and theme are critical. Factors to include in a business plan. How to start your restaurant, how to grow and how to be successful. It is a detailed guide that will guide you through the process.”
And here are my actual notes I took whilst I was listening to this on Audible:
- Google what’s trending in food in 2021
- 12 choices of food are enough. Want to be known for your signature dishes
- Have a ribbon cutting, give speeches, free food whole night. Chef cooking live in front of everyone
- Grand opening once everything tested – ONLY do this when ready and all issues resolved – invite food editors magazine editors local government
- Closed tasting and testing. Then pre-opening (open doors don’t tell anyone) for 2 more weeks to improve more issues
- 3 types of money required from bank – seed money (starting out) growth money (scaling) harvest money (when an investor wants their cash out of business)
- Pot belly sandwich works – ended up public company
- Repurpose menu items we already have
- Jason’s Deli Google
- Look up chicken fillet success story and franchise model
- Look up chainstoreguide.com
- Think about local competition who your target market is and what you can add to the area that there would be a market for
- Unique owner – how do you want to have a unique concept and stand out from people around you
- Google casual restaurants, fast casusal, fine dining, variations (BBQ house, cafe, coffee house , destination, family house, ethnic, table top cooking, popup, pub, food truck, tepanyaki style, brasserie/bistro, buffet, catering
- Analyse Industry trends eg like 5 guys (this segment currently fasting growing segment)
- What do you like about them? What keeps you coming back?
- Which restaurants do you go to each week and why?